Following our series of super foods, this time we are taking a look at Flaxseed – a tiny seed that can pack a big punch.
What is it?
Flaxseed is made up of omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans and fibre, amongst other things. The alpha linolenic acid (ALA) in flaxseed oil has been shown to contribute to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels.
We all know how hard it can be to get our daily fix of essential vitamins, especially when you have to remember to take them independently of your three meals a day. Which is why it is so good to know that flaxseed oil can be incorporated into your every day meal.
Here are a few recipes which include flaxseed oil that are simple, quick and easy to make or check our top 3 recipes below.
Spaghetti with chicken and pesto (serves x2)
2 diced chicken breasts
2 crushed cloves garlic
4 cups basil leaves
4 tbsp pine kernels
¼ cup flaxseed oil
- Boil a saucepan of water and cook your pasta for around 12-15mins
- Fry your diced chicken until cooked completely all the way through
- Meanwhile, make your pesto mix: put the garlic, basil, pine kernels and flaxseed oil in a food blender and mix into a thick paste
- Pour the mix into the frying pan with the cooked chicken and stir for 20 seconds.
- Drain the spaghetti and mix the chicken and pesto in with the spaghetti.
- Serve immediately
Tasty Tuna Salad (serves x2)
Two tins of tuna
2 x handful of rocket leaves
2 cups spinach leaves
5 tomatoes, chopped
1 piece of celery, chopped
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp flaxseed oil
Half a red onion, chopped
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- Mix the tuna with all the other ingredients in a bowl
- Serve with wholemeal bread
Salad Dressing – for any day of the week!
4tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp flaxseed oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp blackcurrant syrup
1 tsp salt
- Mix all the ingredients
- Serve on top of a green salad
So, there you have it – getting your daily fix of flaxseed oil with all the benefits of omega-3, lignans and fibre working on your cholesterol isn’t that hard especially as it is so easy to include in your meals.
Which means that flaxseed oil is a supplement that you don’t need to take – just sneak it into your diet!